Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut bite-sized
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder or 6 cloves garlic
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (or 14.5 ounce can) chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan; sauté the chicken, onion and garlic until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and milk.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Instead of chicken use turkey or 2 cups of cooked beans.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- Serve with hot sauce or black pepper.