Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups reduced sodium fat-free chicken broth (see notes)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, unsalted
- 6 Tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- In a large pot sauté onion in sesame oil until translucent; add garlic and chicken and stir to heat through.
- Add seasonings and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, tomato paste, tomatoes, and peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
- Heat over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- For more peanut flavor, add chopped peanuts.
- To avoid peanuts or peanut butter, try sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.