Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups reduced sodium fat-free chicken broth (see notes)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, unsalted
- 6 Tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- In a large pot sauté onion in sesame oil until translucent; add garlic and chicken and stir to heat through.
- Add seasonings and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, tomato paste, tomatoes, and peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
- Heat over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- For more peanut flavor, add chopped peanuts.
- To avoid peanuts or peanut butter, try sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter.