Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 12
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sweet potatoes (yams), cooked or canned/drained
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lightly oil muffin tins for 12 muffins.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, eggs, orange juice, carrots and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Stir gently until flour is just moistened.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes or until tops are browned and bounce back when touched lightly in the center.
- Cool 5 minutes and loosen around the edge of each muffin to remove from tins.
- Cool completely then store in an air-tight container at room temperature.