Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 12
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes (cooked from fresh or canned and drained)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lightly grease muffin tins for 12 muffins.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, egg, orange juice, carrots and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Stir gently until flour is moistened.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes or until tops are browned and bounce back when touched lightly in the center.
- Cool 5 minutes and loosen around the edge of each muffin to remove from tins.
- Cool completely then store in an air-tight container at room temperature.
- Add 2 teaspoons orange zest for even more orange flavor. Grate or peel and chop the colored part of the orange peel only. Freeze extra zest for up to 3 months.
- No orange juice? Use pineapple juice.
- No sweet potatoes? Use canned or frozen and thawed pumpkin purée.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.