Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Number of Servings: 10
- 6 ounces spinach (about 7 cups)
- 3 oranges
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 cup walnut pieces (toasted if desired)
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice (juice from 1/4 orange)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons salad oil
- Wash and dry spinach, tear into pieces, and chill.
- To prepare orange: Cut off peel and membrane of outer part of the sections. Using a paring knife gently cut out sections from membrane edges. You end up with orange sections with no outer membrane.
- To make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well or blend in a blender.
- Right before serving, toss orange and strawberries with walnuts and spinach. Add dressing to coat salad. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Note: Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.