Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1 teaspoon prepared mustard)
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat or 1% milk
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- In a 10-inch non-stick skillet or pan bring water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and butter or margarine. Stir a few times to prevent sticking.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes (do not drain the water).
- Meanwhile, mix flour, salt and dry mustard in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of milk and stir until smooth. Add remaining milk. Set aside.
- Take the lid off the skillet and cook macaroni until most of the water is gone.
- Stir and add milk mixture and cheese. Mix well. Cook and stir until all the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbly and thick.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add your favorite fresh or frozen vegetables in step 2. Try onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, spinach, broccoli or tomatoes.
- Add your favorite seasonings in step 4. Try oregano, garlic powder, chili powder or others.
- Use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Try whole-wheat macaroni or pasta in different shapes.