Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 15
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons honey* or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup raisins
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Warm oil and honey in a skillet for one minute over medium heat (300 °F in an electric skillet). Add powdered milk and vanilla.
- Stir in oats and sunflower seeds, and mix until coated with oil and honey mixture. Heat over medium heat. Stir until oatmeal is slightly brown.
- Take off heat. Stir in raisins.
- Cool mixture. Store in an airtight container (jar or plastic bag).
- For a less expensive and dairy-free version, omit the dried milk. Nutritionally, there will be slightly less calcium and protein.
- Try baking this instead. Once the first six ingredients are combined, transfer to a baking pan and bake at 325 °F for twenty minutes or until golden brown, stirring half way through.
- Try adding any of these ingredients: one teaspoon cinnamon, chopped nuts, dried fruit, wheat germ, or coconut.
- Serve with milk, yogurt, ice cream, and/or fresh or canned fruit.
- *Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.