Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 15
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons honey* or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup raisins
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Warm oil and honey in a skillet for one minute over medium heat (300 °F in an electric skillet). Add powdered milk and vanilla.
- Stir in oats and sunflower seeds, and mix until coated with oil and honey mixture. Heat over medium heat. Stir until oatmeal is slightly brown.
- Take off heat. Stir in raisins.
- Cool mixture. Store in an airtight container (jar or plastic bag).
- For a less expensive and dairy-free version, omit the dried milk. Nutritionally, there will be slightly less calcium and protein.
- Try baking this instead. Once the first six ingredients are combined, transfer to a baking pan and bake at 325 °F for twenty minutes or until golden brown, stirring half way through.
- Try adding any of these ingredients: one teaspoon cinnamon, chopped nuts, dried fruit, wheat germ, or coconut.
- Serve with milk, yogurt, ice cream, and/or fresh or canned fruit.
- *Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.