Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 80 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
A healthy and satisfying take on this popular dish.
- 1 Tbsp corn oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed (or 1 Tbsp minced)
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 oz) lean pork, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 3 and 1/2 cups precooked mung beans (from 1 and 3/4 cups dried beans)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen leaf spinach (about 2/3 of a 10-oz package)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil, and sauté the garlic until lightly browned.
- Add onions and tomatoes. Sautée until skin begins to curl.
- Add pork, and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add 4 cups water, and simmer pork for about 15 minutes.
- Add the mung beans, and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the shrimp and frozen leaf spinach, and cook for 4 minutes or until done.
Tip: To cook dried mung beans: Wash and boil the uncooked mung beans in a large saucepan, in 6 cups of water. Cook until tender, about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. Drain.