Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh wire strainer under running water for 1 minute.
- Bring the water or broth and quinoa to a boil in a 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Refrigerate until cool.
- While quinoa is cooling, combine all the vegetables in a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl or jar with a tight lid, mix or shake together the dressing ingredients. Add to the vegetables.
- Add quinoa and stir gently to combine.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try adding chopped cilantro or basil instead of parsley.
- No quinoa? Use bulgur instead.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.