Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
- 1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 4 Tablespoons fresh parsley, or 4 teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 pint (2 cups) low-fat cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a 10-inch skillet or large saucepan, cook ground beef over medium-high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet) until it is no longer pink.
- Drain the fat. Add the onion and cook until it is soft.
- Add garlic, 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce, and herbs. Stir. Spread evenly in the skillet.
- Reduce heat to low (200 °F in an electric skillet), spread cottage cheese over mixture, and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Top with 4 noodles, breaking remaining 2 to fill in open spaces.
- Pour remaining spaghetti sauce evenly over the top of noodles; gently press noodles down to moisten.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until noodles are tender. Top with remaining cheeses, cover, and simmer 2 more minutes or until cheeses are melted.
- Let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use Quick Tomato Pasta Sauce for the spaghetti sauce.
- Try whole-grain pasta for more fiber.
- Try ground turkey or 2 cups of beans in place of the beef.
- To drain ground beef: pour beef fat into a metal can (it won't melt from the heat of the fat) or let it cool slightly and pour it over papers in the garbage can. Pouring beef fat down the sink can cause clogging.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.