Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. (If using garlic powder, omit oil and skip this step).
- Add tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, if desired. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. For a thicker sauce, cook an extra 10 to 20 minutes to allow more of the liquid to evaporate.
- Serve over pasta, or use in any recipe that calls for pasta sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try adding 1 teaspoon dried oregano, basil, or Italian seasoning.
- Try with Baked Spaghetti Squash.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.