Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 to 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (10 ounces) red chile sauce or 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce + 2 to 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) hominy, drained and rinsed (1 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce, sliced radishes, chopped onion, lime juice, chopped cilantro, chopped or sliced avocado
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, sauté onion in oil until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chile sauce, broth, cumin, oregano and hominy to the onion and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon into shallow bowls and add toppings as desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.