Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
- 1 cup onion, chopped (1 medium onion)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups sliced or chopped mushrooms (about 12 medium button mushrooms)
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium broth (any type)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until they are softened.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, stirring often. Stir in bulgur and continue to stir until browned.
- Add broth, garlic powder and pepper. Cover pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Mix in the spinach and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try adding other seasonings such as thyme or oregano.
- No fresh spinach? Use frozen chopped spinach or other greens such as kale or chard.