Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped (3/4 medium onion)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes (about 2 medium fresh tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetables fresh, frozen, or canned and drained (try one or more-zucchini, bell pepper, broccoli, corn, cauliflower)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese
- Cook beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet) until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice, tomatoes, vegetables, water, and spices. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low (250 °F in an electric skillet). Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Add more water if needed.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese and cover for 1 to 2 minutes to allow cheese to melt. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Try ground turkey or 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans (a 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed) in place of beef.
- For extra flavor, in step 3 add 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of minced garlic.