Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
- 2 cups leeks, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup dry orzo (rice shaped pasta)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups tomato, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Sauté leeks in oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the orzo and toast lightly, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is almost tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until orzo is tender (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.