Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 12
- 1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced or diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups sliced or chopped cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato pieces with liquid
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) cut green beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons or 3 cubes low sodium beef, chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup small macaroni (optional)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet), cook the ground meat until browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain any fat. Add to soup pan.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion, celery, and carrots until limp but not brown. Add to soup pan.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to soup pan.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.