Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 2 pounds cod fillets
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (red or green)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place fish in a baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix lime juice, tomato, onion, cilantro, oil, peppers and salt. Spoon the mixture on top of fish.
- Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to keep fish moist.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until fish is opaque and separates easily with a fork. If you have a food thermometer, the internal temperature should reach 145 °F.
- For the slaw: In a large bowl, mix cabbage and onion. Add sour cream and salsa; stir until mixed.
- Divide cooked fish among tortillas. Add 1/4 cup of slaw to each. Fold over and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.