Prep time: 10 miutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 11
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until clear, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well and add apples.
- Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add cold leftovers to a sandwich or wrap!
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.