Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
Number of Servings: 2
- acidic fruit juice (lemon, lime, orange, pineapple) to reduce browning
- cinnamon or other flavorings
- Slice bananas into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices.
- Optional: Dip banana slices into fruit juice to reduce browning. Sprinkle with cinnamon or other flavorings if desired.
- Dry until pieces bend like thick leather and no longer feel sticky.
- Oven Instructions: Set oven to lowest temperature possible (175 to 200 °F). Use convection bake if available. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a wire rack or baking sheet. A wire rack will help the banana dry faster. A baking sheet takes longer and pieces need to be turned part way through drying. Takes about 1 to 3 hours.
- Dehydrator Instructions: Arrange banana slices in a single layer on dehydrator racks. Set dehydrator to 135 °F; takes 6 to 12 hours.
- Cool. Store in an airtight container or bag.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.