Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth (see notes)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh or frozen chives (optional)
- In 4 quart (or larger) saucepan, sauté the mushrooms and onion in margarine until tender. Stir in the flour and curry powder until blended. Gradually add the broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; heat through.
- Garnish with chives if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Try substituting cooked winter squash or cooked pumpkin for canned pumpkin. Mash and measure out 2 cups for soup.
- Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.