A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
A heart-healthy twist to a classic dessert.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 and 1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp honey, divided
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 °F. Spray four ovenproof custard cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the water bath: Bring water to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine the whole egg, egg substitute, milk, 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of honey, grated lemon zest, and vanilla. Beat until mixed, but not foamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of honey and cinnamon, and mix to blend well.
- Place the custard cups in a baking dish that is large enough to accommodate them plus the water bath. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of honey and cinnamon into each custard cup. Divide the egg mixture equally into each custard cup.
- Place the baking dish on the middle rack in the oven and pour the boiling water into the baking dish to a depth of 1 inch, taking care not to let the water splash into the flan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife blade comes out clean when inserted.
- Serve warm or cold. Before serving, loosen the edges with a knife or spatula and invert onto individual dessert plates.