Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 small)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (see notes)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cooked chicken, bite sized
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper (try 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet) and saute onions, carrots and celery until soft.
- Add a small amount of unheated broth to the flour and stir until smooth. Slowly mix in remaining broth and add to skillet. Stir over medium heat as the mixture thickens.
- Add the chicken, peas, salt and pepper. Heat on low while making dumplings.
- Dumplings: sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg to the milk and beat until well blended. Stir into the flour until well combined.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a lightly oiled or sprayed casserole dish. Drop dumpling dough by spoonfuls onto chicken mixture. (makes about 8 dumplings)
- Bake uncovered at 400 °F for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.