Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 7
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup skim or 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pound lean ground meat (any type, 15% fat or less)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients except ground meat.
- Add the ground meat and mix in evenly.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into 21 (about 2-inch) meatballs. Arrange the meatballs on the baking sheet with space between each one. Bake in 2 batches or on 2 baking sheets if needed. Wash hands with soap and water after touching raw meat and eggs.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through (165 °F with a food thermometer) and the outsides are browned.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try other seasonings such as Italian seasoning or use soy sauce instead of salt.
- No carrot? Use chopped frozen spinach or grated zucchini instead.
- Enjoy with a pasta sauce, in a veggie stew or in a stir-fry.
- Use lactose-free or a plant-based milk if desired.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.