See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes itchy or sore patches of thick, red skin with silvery scales. You usually get them on your elbows, knees, scalp, back, face, palms and feet, but they can show up on other parts of your body.
Some people with psoriasis have psoriatic arthritis. It causes pain, stiffness, and swelling of the joints. It is often mild, but can sometimes be serious and affect many joints. The joint and skin problems don't always happen at the same time.
Your doctor will do a physical exam and imaging tests to diagnose psoriatic arthritis. There is no cure, but medicines can help control inflammation and pain. In rare cases, you might need surgery to repair or replace damaged joints.
- Psoriatic Arthritis (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases) Also in Spanish
- Psoriatic Arthritis (American College of Rheumatology) Also in Spanish
- Psoriatic arthritis: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
Statistics and Research
- Arthritis by the Numbers: Book of Trusted Facts and Figures (Arthritis Foundation) - PDF
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Arthritis, Psoriatic (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Arthroscopic synovectomy versus intra-articular injection of corticosteroids for the management of...
- Article: Risk of cancer in Korean patients with psoriatic arthritis: a nationwide...
- Article: Sex differences in the efficacy, safety and persistence of patients with...
- Psoriatic Arthritis -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Arthritis Foundation: Local Office Directory (Arthritis Foundation)
- Find a Dermatologist (American Academy of Dermatology)
- Find a Rheumatologist (American College of Rheumatology)
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Also in Spanish
- Psoriasis/Psoriatic Arthritis and Pregnancy (Organization of Teratology Information Specialists) - PDF
- Psoriatic arthritis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish