See, Play and Learn
- No links available
The tissue that lines your lungs, stomach, heart, and other organs is called mesothelium. Mesothelioma is a tumor of that tissue. It usually starts in the lungs, but can also start in the abdomen or other organs. It can be benign (not cancer) or malignant (cancer.)
Malignant mesothelioma is a rare but serious type of cancer. Most people who get it have worked on jobs where they inhaled asbestos particles. After being exposed to asbestos, it usually takes a long time for the disease to form.
- Trouble breathing
- Pain under the rib cage
- Pain, swelling, or lumps in the abdomen
- Weight loss for no known reason
Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between malignant mesothelioma and lung cancer. Your doctor uses imaging tests and a biopsy to make the diagnosis. Malignant mesothelioma is often found when it is advanced. This makes it harder to treat. Treatment may include surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
Treatments and Therapies
- Drugs Approved for Malignant Mesothelioma (National Cancer Institute)
- Treatment Option Overview (Malignant Mesothelioma) (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Treatment Options for Malignant Mesothelioma (National Cancer Institute)
- Mesothelioma Treatment: Recovery, Side Effects, What to Expect (Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation)
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma (Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation)
- Genetics Home Reference: BAP1 tumor predisposition syndrome (National Library of Medicine)
Statistics and Research
- What Are the Key Statistics about Malignant Mesothelioma? (American Cancer Society)
- What's New in Malignant Mesothelioma Research and Treatment? (American Cancer Society)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Mesothelioma (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Primary Spinal Malignant Mesothelioma: A Case Report and Literature Review.
- Article: 18F-FDG PET/CT in the management of patients with malignant pleural...
- Article: Evaluating quality of life and cost implications of prophylactic radiotherapy...
- Mesothelioma -- see more articles
- Asbestos related mesothelioma -- see more articles
- Mesothelioma - benign-fibrous (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Mesothelioma - malignant (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Understanding Chemotherapy (National Cancer Institute) - PDF Also in Spanish
- What to Know about External Beam Radiation Therapy (National Cancer Institute) - PDF Also in Spanish