On this page
See, Play and Learn
For many people, laser eye surgery can correct their vision so they no longer need glasses or contact lenses. Laser eye surgery reshapes the cornea, the clear front part of the eye. This changes its focusing power.
There are different types of laser eye surgery. LASIK - laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis - is one of the most common. Many patients who have LASIK end up with 20/20 vision. But, like all medical procedures, it has both risks and benefits. Only your eye doctor can tell if you are a good candidate for laser eye surgery.
- LASIK (Food and Drug Administration)
- LASIK -- Laser Eye Surgery (American Academy of Ophthalmology) Also in Spanish
- LASIK Eye Surgery (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Shaping Clearer Vision: Is Eye Surgery Right for You? (National Institutes of Health)
- What Should I Expect Before, During, and After Surgery? (Food and Drug Administration)
- Alternative Refractive Surgery Procedures (American Academy of Ophthalmology) Also in Spanish
- Lasik eye surgery - slideshow (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
Statistics and Research
- Eye Health Data and Statistics (National Eye Institute)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Corneal Surgery, Laser (National Institutes of Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Laser In Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) (National Institutes of Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Photorefractive Keratectomy (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Corneal biomechanical characteristics following small incision lenticule extraction for myopia and...
- Article: The Impact of Corneal Epithelial Thickening and Inhomogeneity on Corneal Aberrations...
- Article: Clinical outcomes of the immediate reapplication of small-incision lenticule extraction without...
- Laser Eye Surgery -- see more articles
- How the Eyes Work (National Eye Institute) Also in Spanish
Find an Expert
- Find a Doctor of Optometry (American Optometric Association)
- National Eye Institute
- LASIK eye surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Lasik eye surgery - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Refractive corneal surgery - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish