Home care is care that allows a person with special needs to stay in their home. It might be for people who are getting older (aging in place). It could also be for people who are chronically ill, recovering from surgery, or have a disability. Home care services include:
- Personal care, such as help with bathing, washing your hair, or getting dressed
- Household chores, such as cleaning, yard work, and laundry
- Cooking for you in your home or delivering meals to you
- Money management, such as help filling out forms and making sure that your bills are paid on time
- Health care, such as having a home health aide come to your home or getting care from your provider through telehealth
You can get almost any type of help you want in your home. You have to pay for many of them. But some types of care and community services are free or donated. Sometimes government programs or your health insurance will help cover the cost of certain home care services.
- Adult Day Care (Administration for Community Living)
- Adult Day Services (National Adult Day Services Association) - PDF
- End of Life (Hospice Care) (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Telehealth: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- What Are My Other Long-Term Care Choices? (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- Home Healthcare Medical Devices: A Checklist (Food and Drug Administration)
- Home Healthcare Medical Devices: Infusion Therapy - Getting the Most Out of Your Pump (Food and Drug Administration)
- Home Improvement Assistance (Administration for Community Living)
Statistics and Research
- Characteristics and Use of Home Health Care by Men and Women Aged 65 and Over (National Center for Health Statistics) - PDF
- National Home and Hospice Care Survey (National Center for Health Statistics)
- QuickStats: Percentage of Adult Day Services Center Participants, by Selected Diagnoses (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Home Care Services (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Fall Prevention Program Using Home Floor Plans in an Acute-Care Hospital:...
- Article: Remote vs In-home Physician Visits for Hospital-Level Care at Home: A...
- Article: Effect of individually tailored nutritional counselling on protein and energy intake...
- Home Care Services -- see more articles