Home care is care that allows a person with special needs to stay in their home. It might be for people who are getting older (aging in place). It could also be for people who are chronically ill, recovering from surgery, or disabled. Home care services include
- Personal care, such as help with bathing, washing your hair, or getting dressed
- Household chores, such as cleaning, yard work, and laundry
- Cooking for you in your home or delivering meals to you
- Money management, such as help filling out forms and making sure that your bills are paid on time
- Health care, such as having a home health aide come to your home or getting care from your provider through telehealth
You can get almost any type of help you want in your home. You have to pay for many of them. But some types of care and community services are free or donated. Sometimes government programs or your health insurance will help cover the cost of certain home care services.
- Adult Day Care
- Adult Day Services (National Adult Day Services Association) - PDF
- Alternatives to Nursing Homes (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- End of Life (Hospice Care) (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Telehealth: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Home Healthcare Medical Devices: A Checklist (Food and Drug Administration)
- Home Healthcare Medical Devices: Infusion Therapy - Getting the Most Out of Your Pump (Food and Drug Administration)
- Home Modifications
- Home Use Devices: How to Prepare for and Handle Power Outages for Medical Devices That Require Electricity (Food and Drug Administration) - PDF
- Speak Up: Help Prevent Errors in Your Care: Home Care (Joint Commission) - PDF Also in Spanish
Statistics and Research
- Characteristics and Use of Home Health Care by Men and Women Aged 65 and Over (National Center for Health Statistics) - PDF
- National Home and Hospice Care Survey (National Center for Health Statistics)
- QuickStats: Percentage of Adult Day Services Center Participants, by Selected Diagnoses (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Home Care Services (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Using Geographic Information System Mapping in Emergency Management: Expanding the Role...
- Article: Home Health Nursing Job Satisfaction and Retention: Meeting the Growing Need...
- Article: The costs of home-based HIV testing and counselling in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Home Care Services -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Find and Compare Doctors, Plans, Hospitals, Suppliers and Other Providers (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- Home Health Compare: Find a Home Health Agency (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- Meals on Wheels: Find a Meal (Meals on Wheels Association of America)