Health facilities are places that provide health care. They include hospitals, clinics, outpatient care centers, and specialized care centers, such as birthing centers and psychiatric care centers.
When you choose a health facility, you might want to consider
- How close it is to where you live or work
- Whether your health insurance will pay for services there
- Whether your health care provider can treat you there
- The quality of the facility
Quality is important. Some facilities do a better job than others. One way to learn about the quality of a facility is to look at report cards developed by federal, state, and consumer groups.
- Why Patients Leave the Hospital Against Doctor's Orders (06/19/2017, HealthDay)
- Study Cites Top Reasons Young Autism Patients Are Hospitalized (06/16/2017, HealthDay)
- U.S. Hospitals Still Prescribe Too Many Antibiotics (06/15/2017, HealthDay)
- More News on Health Facilities
- Birthing Centers and Hospital Maternity Services (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Helping You Choose Quality Ambulatory Care (Joint Commission) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Helping You Choose Quality Behavioral Health Care (Joint Commission) - PDF
- Helping You Identify Quality Laboratory Services (Joint Commission) - PDF
- Report a Complaint (about a Health Care Organization) (Joint Commission)
- School-Based Health Centers (Nemours Foundation)
Health Check Tools
- Question Builder: Be Prepared for Your Next Medical Appointment (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
Statistics and Research
- Ambulatory Medical Care Utilization Estimates for 2007 (National Center for Health Statistics) - PDF
- Community Health Centers: Providers, Patients, and Content of Care (National Center for Health Statistics)
- Costs for Hospital Stays in the United States, 2011 (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality) - PDF
- Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals (American Hospital Association)
- Rural Residents Who Are Hospitalized in Rural and Urban Hospitals: United States, 2010 (National Center for Health Statistics)
- Wait Time for Treatment in Hospital Emergency Departments: 2009 (National Center for Health Statistics)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Changes in Hospital Quality Associated with Hospital Value-Based Purchasing.
- Article: Temporal trends in centralization and racial disparities in utilization of...
- Article: Building Research Infrastructure in Magnet® Hospitals: Current Status and Future...
- Health Facilities -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Services Locator (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Find and Compare Doctors, Plans, Hospitals, Suppliers and Other Providers (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- What Older Adults Need to Know about Retail Clinics (AGS Foundation for Health in Aging) - PDF Also in Spanish
- How to choose the best hospital for surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Isolation precautions (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Leaving the hospital - your discharge plan (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities - choosing (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Skilled nursing or rehabilitation facilities (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish