Health facilities are places that provide health care. They include hospitals, clinics, outpatient care centers, and specialized care centers, such as birthing centers and psychiatric care centers.
When you choose a health facility, you might want to consider:
- How close it is to where you live or work
- Whether your health insurance will pay for services there
- Whether your health care provider can treat you there
- The quality of the facility
Quality is important. Some facilities do a better job than others. One way to learn about the quality of a facility is to look at report cards developed by federal, state, and consumer groups.
- Birthing Centers and Hospital Maternity Services (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Helping You Choose: Quality Ambulatory Care (Joint Commission) - PDF
- Helping You Choose: Quality Hospital Care (Joint Commission) - PDF
- Helping You Choose: Quality Nursing Care Center Services (Joint Commission) - PDF
- Report a Patient Safety Concern or File a Complaint (Joint Commission)
Health Check Tools
- Question Builder: Be Prepared for Your Next Medical Appointment (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
Statistics and Research
- Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals (American Hospital Association)
- FastStats: Ambulatory Care Use and Physician Office Visits (National Center for Health Statistics)
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Occurrence of sensitive topics during ward round: an ancillary analysis of...
- Article: Clinical efficacy of Buzhong Yiqi decoction in the treatment of hospital-acquired...
- Article: The effects of therapeutic virtual reality experience to promote mental well-being...
- Health Facilities -- see more articles
- Choosing a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- How to choose the best hospital for surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Isolation precautions (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Leaving the hospital - your discharge plan (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Skilled nursing or rehabilitation facilities (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish