Health facilities are places that provide health care. They include hospitals, clinics, outpatient care centers, and specialized care centers, such as birthing centers and psychiatric care centers.
When you choose a health facility, you might want to consider
- How close it is to where you live or work
- Whether your health insurance will pay for services there
- Whether your health care provider can treat you there
- The quality of the facility
Quality is important. Some facilities do a better job than others. One way to learn about the quality of a facility is to look at report cards developed by federal, state, and consumer groups.
- Birthing Centers and Hospital Maternity Services (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Helping You Choose: Quality Ambulatory Care (Joint Commission) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Helping You Choose: Quality Hospital Care (Joint Commission) - PDF
- Helping You Choose: Quality Nursing Care Center Services (Joint Commission) - PDF
- Report a Patient Safety Concern or File a Complaint (Joint Commission)
- School-Based Health Centers (Nemours Foundation)
Health Check Tools
- Question Builder: Be Prepared for Your Next Medical Appointment (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
Statistics and Research
- Costs for Hospital Stays in the United States, 2011 (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality) - PDF
- Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals (American Hospital Association)
- FastStats: Ambulatory Care Use and Physician Office Visits (National Center for Health Statistics)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Process evaluation of the implementation of a decision support system to...
- Article: An innovative emergency transportation scenario for mass casualty incident management: Lessons...
- Article: Cardiac mortality benefit of direct admission to percutaneous coronary intervention-capable hospital...
- Health Facilities -- see more articles
- How to choose the best hospital for surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Isolation precautions (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Leaving the hospital - your discharge plan (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities - choosing (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Skilled nursing or rehabilitation facilities (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish