Genetic counseling provides information and support to people who have, or may be at risk for, genetic disorders. A genetic counselor meets with you to discuss genetic risks. The counseling may be for yourself or a family member. Or you may get it when you are planning or expecting a baby. You may follow up with genetic testing.
There are many reasons to seek genetic counseling. You may consider it if you
- Have a personal or family history of a genetic condition or birth defect
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant after age 35
- Already have a child with a genetic disorder or birth defect
- Have had two or more pregnancy losses or a baby who died
- Have had ultrasound or screening tests that suggest a possible problem
Genetics Home Reference
- Frequently Asked Questions about Genetic Counseling (National Human Genome Research Institute)
- Genetic Counseling (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Genetic Counseling (March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Making Sense of Your Genes: A Guide to Genetic Counseling (Genetic Alliance) - PDF
- Prenatal Genetic Counseling (For Parents) (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- About Genetic Counselors (National Society of Genetic Counselors)
- Genetics Home Reference (National Library of Medicine)
- What to Expect When Meeting with a Genetic Counselor (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- Genetic Counseling and Evaluation for BRCA1/2 Testing (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Genetic Counseling for Congenital Heart Defects (American Heart Association)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Genetic Counseling (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Inherited thrombocytopenia and platelet disorders with germline predisposition to myeloid neoplasia.
- Article: Diagnosis, Intervention, and Prevention of Genetic Hearing Loss.
- Article: Study protocol of a pragmatic randomized controlled trial incorporated into the...
- Genetic Counseling -- see more articles