Electric and magnetic fields (EMFs) are areas of energy that surround electrical devices. Everyday sources of EMFs include
- Power lines
- Electrical wiring
- Microwave ovens
- Cell phones
Some people worry about EMF exposure and cancer. Some studies have found a link between EMF exposure and a higher risk of childhood leukemia, but other studies have not. Other studies have not found proof that EMF exposure causes other childhood cancers. Studies in adults did not prove that EMF exposure causes cancer.
Some people worry that wireless and cellular phones cause cancer or other health problems. The phones do give off radio-frequency energy (RF), a form of electromagnetic radiation. So far, scientific evidence has not found a link between cell phone use and health problems in humans. However, scientists need to do more research on this before they can say for sure.
NIH: National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Cell Phones and Cancer Risk (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Electromagnetic Fields and Cancer (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- No Evidence Linking Cell Phone Use to Risk of Brain Tumors (Food and Drug Administration)
- Cell Phones (Food and Drug Administration) - PDF
- Cellular Phone Towers (American Cancer Society)
- Electromagnetic Fields and Public Health: Mobile Phones (World Health Organization) Also in Spanish
- Frequently Asked Questions about Cell Phones and Your Health (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Health Issues: Do Cell Phones Pose a Health Hazard? (Food and Drug Administration)
- Microwave Ovens (Food and Drug Administration)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Electromagnetic Fields (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Effects of dietary green tea polyphenol supplementation on the health...
- Article: Brain Topography of Emf-Induced Eeg-Changes in Restful Wakefulness: Tracing Current...
- Article: Genetic damage in humans exposed to extremely low-frequency electromagnetic fields.
- Electromagnetic Fields -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Food and Drug Administration
- International EMF Project (World Health Organization)
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Also in Spanish
- What Are Electric and Magnetic Fields? (EMF) (National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences)