Club drugs are group of psychoactive drugs. They act on the central nervous system and can cause changes in mood, awareness, and how you act. These drugs are often abused by young adults at all-night dance parties, dance clubs, and bars. They include
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), also known as Ecstasy XTC, X, E, Adam, Molly, Hug Beans, and Love Drug
- Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB), also known as G, Liquid Ecstasy, and Soap
- Ketamine, also known as Special K, K, Vitamin K, and Jet
- Rohypnol, also known as Roofies
- Methamphetamine, also known as Speed, Ice, Chalk, Meth, Crystal, Crank, and Glass
- Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD), also known as Acid, Blotter, and Dots
Some of these drugs are approved for certain medical uses. Other uses of these drugs are abuse.
Club drugs are also sometimes used as "date rape" drugs, to make someone unable to say no to or fight back against sexual assault. Abusing these drugs can cause serious health problems and sometimes death. They are even more dangerous if you use them with alcohol.
NIH: National Institute on Drug Abuse
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Hallucinogens (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Development of a high throughput methodology to screen cathinones' toxicological impact.
- Article: Lab-on-a-screen-printed electrochemical cell for drop-volume voltammetric screening of flunitrazepam in untreated,...
- Article: Determination of several synthetic cathinones and an amphetamine-like compound in urine...
- Club Drugs -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Services Locator (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Also in Spanish
- Partnership at Drugfree.org (Partnership for a Drug-Free America)
- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Amphetamines (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- GHB (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Ketamine (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- LSD (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- MDMA (Ecstasy or Molly) (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- PCP (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Rohypnol (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish