Methamphetamine - meth for short - is a very addictive stimulant drug. It is a powder that can be made into a pill or a shiny rock (called a crystal). The powder can be eaten or snorted up the nose. It can also be mixed with liquid and injected into your body with a needle. Crystal meth is smoked in a small glass pipe.
Meth at first causes a rush of good feelings, but then users feel edgy, overly excited, angry, or afraid. Meth use can quickly lead to addiction. It causes medical problems including
- Making your body temperature so high that you pass out
- Severe itching
- "Meth mouth" - broken teeth and dry mouth
- Thinking and emotional problems
NIH: National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Methamphetamine Pills (Partnership for a Drug-Free America)
- Methamphetamine (Drug Enforcement Administration)
Health Check Tools
- Test Your Knowledge: Methamphetamine (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
Statistics and Research
- Methamphetamine Alters Brain Structures, Impairs Mental Flexibility (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Methamphetamine Lab Incidents, 2004-2014 (Drug Enforcement Administration)
- Research Reports: Methamphetamine (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Stress-Induced Enzyme Compounds Methamphetamine Neurotoxicity (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Methamphetamine (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: CDK5-mediated tau accumulation triggers methamphetamine-induced neuronal apoptosis via endoplasmic reticulum-associated...
- Article: A commentary on the effects of methamphetamine and the status...
- Article: The Impact of Methamphetamine Use on Trauma Patients at a...
- Methamphetamine -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Services Locator (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Also in Spanish
- Partnership at Drugfree.org (Partnership for a Drug-Free America)
- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Mind Over Matter: Methamphetamine (National Institute on Drug Abuse) Also in Spanish
- What You Need to Know about Drugs: Methamphetamines (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish