See, Play and Learn
The bladder is a hollow organ in your lower abdomen that stores urine. Bladder cancer occurs in the lining of the bladder. It is the sixth most common type of cancer in the United States.
- Blood in your urine
- A frequent urge to urinate
- Pain when you urinate
- Low back pain
Risk factors for developing bladder cancer include smoking and exposure to certain chemicals in the workplace. People with a family history of bladder cancer or who are older, white, or male have a higher risk.
Treatments for bladder cancer include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and biologic therapy. Biologic therapy boosts your body's own ability to fight cancer.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat Bladder Cancer (05/19/2016, HealthDay)
- Well Water a Suspected Cause of Bladder Cancer in New England (05/02/2016, HealthDay)
Diagnosis and Tests
- Cystoscopy and Ureteroscopy (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Intravenous Pyelogram (IVP) (Radiological Society of North America, American College of Radiology) Available in Spanish
- Screening for Bladder and Other Urothelial Cancers (National Cancer Institute) Available in Spanish
- Screening for Bladder Cancer: Recommendations from the U.S.Preventive Services Task Force (American College of Physicians) - PDF
- Stages of Bladder Cancer (National Cancer Institute) Available in Spanish
- Urine Cytology (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Urography (Radiological Society of North America, American College of Radiology) Available in Spanish
Prevention and Risk Factors
- What Are the Risk Factors for Bladder Cancer? (American Cancer Society)
- General Information about Transitional Cell Cancer of the Renal Pelvis and Ureter (National Cancer Institute) Available in Spanish
- Genetics Home Reference: bladder cancer (National Library of Medicine)
Health Check Tools
- Bladder Cancer Risk Questionnaire (Siteman Cancer Center)
Statistics and Research
- Cancer of the Urinary Bladder (National Cancer Institute)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Diagnosis and treatment in primary bladder small cell carcinoma: Literature...
- Article: Analytical Performance of ELISA Assays in Urine: One More Bottleneck...
- Article: Combination of Intravesical Chemotherapy and Bacillus Calmette-Guerin Versus Bacillus Calmette-Guerin...
- Bladder Cancer -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- American Cancer Society
- Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network
- Directory of Kidney and Urologic Diseases Organizations (National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse) - PDF
- Find a Cancer Doctor (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- Find a Urologist (Urology Care Foundation)
- National Cancer Institute Available in Spanish
- Organizations That Offer Support Services (National Cancer Institute) Available in Spanish
- Bladder biopsy Available in Spanish
- Bladder cancer Available in Spanish
- Cancer - renal pelvis or ureter Available in Spanish
- Understanding Chemotherapy (National Cancer Institute) - PDF Available in Spanish
- What to Know about External Beam Radiation Therapy (National Cancer Institute) - PDF Available in Spanish