See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Wilms tumor is a rare type of kidney cancer. It causes a tumor on one or both kidneys. It usually affects children, but can happen in adults. Having certain genetic conditions or birth defects can increase the risk of getting it. Children that are at risk should be screened for Wilms tumor every three months until they turn eight.
Symptoms include a lump in the abdomen, blood in the urine, and a fever for no reason. Tests that examine the kidney and blood are used to find the tumor.
Doctors usually diagnose and remove the tumor in surgery. Other treatments include chemotherapy and radiation and biologic therapies. Biologic therapy boosts your body's own ability to fight cancer.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- General Information about Wilms Tumor and Other Childhood Kidney Tumors (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- What Are Wilms Tumors? (American Cancer Society)
- Wilms Tumor (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Signs and Symptoms of Wilms Tumor (American Cancer Society)
Diagnosis and Tests
- How Are Wilms Tumors Diagnosed? (American Cancer Society)
- Stages of Wilms Tumor (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
Prevention and Risk Factors
- Can Wilms Tumor Be Found Early? (American Cancer Society)
Treatments and Therapies
- Drugs Approved for Wilms Tumor and Other Childhood Kidney Cancers (National Cancer Institute)
- Nephrectomy (Kidney Removal) (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Treatment Option Overview (Wilms Tumor and Other Childhood Kidney Tumors) (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Learning about WAGR Syndrome (National Human Genome Research Institute)
- WAGR syndrome: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
- Wilms tumor: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Wilms Tumor (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: One year overall survival of wilms tumor cases and its predictors,...
- Article: Molecular Signature of Biological Aggressiveness in Clear Cell Sarcoma of the...
- Article: Characterization of Continuous Transcriptional Heterogeneity in High-Risk Blastemal-Type Wilms' Tumors Using...
- Wilms Tumor -- see more articles
- Dictionary of Cancer Terms (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Kidneys and Urinary Tract (For Parents) (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
Find an Expert
- American Cancer Society
- Find a Cancer Doctor (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- National Cancer Institute Also in Spanish
- NCI Designated Cancer Centers (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Organizations that Offer Cancer Support Services (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- After chemotherapy - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Wilms tumor (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish