Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Number of Servings: 16
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or spray the bottom of an 8" x 8" baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine both flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and brown sugar. Be sure sugar has no lumps.
- Add liquids to flour mixture. Stir together until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and smooth into corners.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Top should look golden brown.
- Cool slightly and remove from pan. Slice with a serrated knife.
- Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
- No buttermilk? Add enough milk to 2 Tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar to make 2 cups. Stir well and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup raisins and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon for a tasty breakfast bread.