Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 15
- 2 cans (15 ounces) black-eyed peas or black beans (try a mix, or other types)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions (5 green onions)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the black-eyed peas (or black beans) and corn.
- Finely chop the cilantro and green onions.
- Dice the tomatoes and avocado.
- Combine all veggies in a large bowl.
- Mix oil, vinegar or lime juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pour oil mixture over salad ingredients and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use as a filling for tacos, burritos or wraps, on a burger, over a baked potato, or as a snack with tortilla chips.
- Try adding other vegetables such as sweet or hot peppers, cucumber or zucchini.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.