Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Total time: 95 minutes
Number of Servings: 10
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (15% fat)
- 2/3 cup chopped onion (2/3 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 small pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 can solid-pack pumpkin (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 can chicken broth, low sodium (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups) (see notes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package taco seasoning mix (1.25 ounces)
- Pour oil into a 4 quart (or larger) saucepan.
- Add ground turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook and stir, breaking meat apart until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, water, brown sugar and taco seasoning.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Use leftover turkey cut in bite sized piece instead of ground turkey. Sauté the vegetables then add the turkey with the other ingredients.
- No Taco Seasoning? Try 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/4 teaspoon oregano. Add some red pepper flakes if you like it spicier.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.