Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped asparagus, fresh or frozen
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups low-sodium broth (any type) or water
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup peas, frozen or canned and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat (300 °F in an electric skillet). Sauté onion, asparagus and potato until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and corn. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add peas, salt and pepper, if desired, and simmer 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Top with cheese and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
- Try using fresh or frozen broccoli instead of asparagus.
- Try using canned green beans or diced tomatoes instead of peas.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.