Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped asparagus, fresh or frozen
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups low-sodium broth (any type) or water
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup peas, frozen or canned and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat (300 °F in an electric skillet). Sauté onion, asparagus and potato until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and corn. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add peas, salt and pepper, if desired, and simmer 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Top with cheese and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
- Try using fresh or frozen broccoli instead of asparagus.
- Try using canned green beans or diced tomatoes instead of peas.