Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 5
- 1/2 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- Combine milk and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat. Heat until mixture starts to boil.
- Stir in oats and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Oats should be tender and cooked through.
- Stir in cheese and green onion. Top with tomatoes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.