Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 8 ounces low-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety.
- If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.