Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 8 ounces low-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety.
- If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.