Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Number of Servings: 2
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (try a mixture - bell peppers, onion, corn, tomato, zucchini)
- 1 cup cooked meat (chopped or shredded), beans or tofu
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 Tablespoons salsa, shredded cheese or low-fat sour cream
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet). Add vegetables and cook until tender-crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cooked meat, beans or tofu and cooked rice to skillet and heat through.
- Divide rice mixture between two bowls. Top with salsa, cheese or sour cream and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a spicier dish, add chili powder, red pepper flakes or taco sauce in Step 1.
- You can use any leftover cooked grain in this recipe. Try white or wild rice, quinoa, barley or oatmeal.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.