A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
Lean beef, vegetables, and rice are tossed together in this quick and easy casserole
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup of onion, chopped
- 1 cup of celery, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup of green bell pepper, rinsed, seeded, and cubed
- 3 and 1/2 cups of tomatoes, rinsed and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 2 small carrots, rinsed, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
- In a sauté pan, brown the ground beef.
- Drain off the extra fat by tilting the sauté pan over a disposable cup in the sink to collect the fat. Use the lid to shield the meat from falling out. After the fat has turned solid, discard the cup in the trash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the sauté pan, and mix well.
- Cover sauté pan with lid, and cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Serve hot.