Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
- 1/2 pound parsnips
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gather ingredients and cooking tools.
- Scrub parsnips and potatoes with a clean vegetable brush under running water and peel if needed.
- Cut the vegetables into pieces. Aim for similar sizes.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the vegetables pieces with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until vegetables are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and mash. Stir in yogurt or milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and margarine or butter. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No plain yogurt? Use low-fat sour cream or buttermilk.
- Try other seasonings such as parsley, thyme or nutmeg.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.