Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
- 1/2 pound parsnips
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gather ingredients and cooking tools.
- Scrub parsnips and potatoes with a clean vegetable brush under running water and peel if needed.
- Cut the vegetables into pieces. Aim for similar sizes.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the vegetables pieces with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until vegetables are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and mash. Stir in yogurt or milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and margarine or butter. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No plain yogurt? Use low-fat sour cream or buttermilk.
- Try other seasonings such as parsley, thyme or nutmeg.