Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro or oregano (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups broth, any flavor
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and cilantro/oregano (if using). Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes for brown lentils, Add water if necessary to keep the lentils just covered with liquid.
- Uncover; cook until mixture thickens and most of the water is gone, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use for tacos, wraps or salad.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.