Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper (about 1/2 a small pepper)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped celery
- 6 sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Wash and drain lentils. Place in saucepan, add water and salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover the pan. Simmer the lentils for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not overcook. The lentils should be tender with skin intact. Drain right away.
- Combine the lentils with cooked rice, pour dressing over mixture and refrigerate until cool.
- Add rest of ingredients, except parsley, mix well.
- Garnish with parsley before serving (optional).
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No pimento-stuffed green olives? Use pitted green olives instead.