Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Number of Servings: 10
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth*
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 cup chopped lean ham (8% fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart (or larger) saucepan. Sauté onion, cabbage and potato over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir the vegetables often while they cook.
- Add chicken broth**, corn, ham and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- *Broth can be homemade, canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
- **For a vegetarian soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and beans for the ham.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.