Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Tuna is a sturdy fish that is easy to grill or broil
For the tuna:
- 1 Tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp oregano, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 12 oz tuna steak, cut into 4 portions (3 oz each)
- 1/2 can (15 and 1/2 oz) low-sodium chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bag (10 oz) leaf spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato, rinsed and cut into wedges
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat grill pan or oven broiler (with the rack 3 inches from heat source) on high temperature.
- Combine oil, garlic, lemon juice, and oregano, and brush over tuna steaks. Marinate for 5–10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all salad ingredients. (Salad can be made up to 2 hours in advance and refrigerated.)
- Grill or broil tuna on high heat for 3–4 minutes on each side until the flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- Serve one tuna steak over 1 cup of mixed salad.
Note: If you can't find beans labeled "low sodium," compare the Nutrition Facts panels to find the beans with the lowest amount of sodium. Rinsing can help further reduce the sodium level.