Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) peas (undrained)
- 1 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium saucepan, heat peas with liquid over medium heat. As the peas warm, mash them with a fork or potato masher to the thickness you want.
- Stir in milk, bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper, if desired. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a smoother soup, combine peas with liquid and milk in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then add to saucepan.
- Try fresh onion for extra flavor! Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add 3/4 cup chopped fresh onion. Cook until onion is soft then add peas with liquid.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.