Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 5 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds or 1/2 small head - try a mix of red and green)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (try raisins or cranberries)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups thinly sliced apple (about 1 1/3 medium apples)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, toasted
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, stir together cabbage, dried fruit and carrot.
- In small bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage mixture.
- Add apple and nuts just before serving. Mix well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try thinly sliced bell pepper instead of grated carrot.
- No nuts? Use roasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.