Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
- 1 cup pearl barley*
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup raisins, or other dried fruit
- 1 cup frozen peas, or other vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned and drained)
- 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion (try any type of onion)
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar (rice vinegar or any others)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place barley and water in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer until barley is tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.**
- Rinse cooked barley in cold water for a short time. Drain and put into a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try substituting different fruits and vegetables.
- *Pearl barley is high in fiber but is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), add 20 to 30 minutes to the cooking time.
- **If you have barley that is already cooked, measure about 3 1/2 cups into a bowl and continue with step 3.