Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
- 1 cup pearl barley*
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup raisins, or other dried fruit
- 1 cup frozen peas, or other vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned and drained)
- 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion (try any type of onion)
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar (rice vinegar or any others)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place barley and water in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer until barley is tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.**
- Rinse cooked barley in cold water for a short time. Drain and put into a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try substituting different fruits and vegetables.
- *Pearl barley is high in fiber but is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), add 20 to 30 minutes to the cooking time.
- **If you have barley that is already cooked, measure about 3 1/2 cups into a bowl and continue with step 3.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.