Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Number of Servings: 24
- 16 ounces stemmed, chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice (juice from 1/2 orange)
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray or oil a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Combine figs, walnuts, sugar, orange juice and hot water in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together margarine and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg and mix until smooth.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Stir into egg mixture. Blend in oats to make soft dough.
- Reserve 1 cup of dough for topping. With floured fingertips, press the remaining dough into a thin layer on the bottom of baking pan.
- Spread fig mixture evenly over the dough. Crumble reserved dough over top, allowing fig mixture to show.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in baking pan. Cut into 24 bars (about 2.5 x 2 inches).